End of development, 29 April [Email to Basil, Project Evaluation]

Looking back at the project, I am very pleased with how much I was able to learn about technology I was previously unaware of.

I believe my own resourcefulness has improved as a result of undertaking the project. At almost every issue I was forced to find the answer myself as no one had experience with the technology.

Gathering player feedback throughout the development was key to improving every element, and highlighted both issues and solutions I would otherwise have been unnaware of.

Had Basil’s arrangements for the exhibition event been more finalised I may have been able to concentrate on a specific implementation, but having to change my focus at times throughout the project has given me a wider understanding and I feel I could undertake a project using any software/device I have used during this project.

If I were to undertake the project again, getting to the final stage would only take a fraction of the time. Having gathered the knowledge I would be more confident in my ability to tackle a more complex task using the devices.

Ironically, some of the devices I explored at the beginning of the project would have turned out to be a very good solution to the amended brief.

In my final version of ‘Controller Release .apk’, had Cardboard and Vuforia been able to be used simultaneously it would have greatly enhanced the user experience. Giving the user a far greater amount 

Had the 3D Technologist been able to 3D print a controller in time, the quality of the project would have also been improved.



Email to Basil

Final stage of the project was an email to Basil with an update of what I have managed to produce so far.
I explained how the current version was reached, the aim of the application, the interactions the user has, and included a user guide to clarify any further uncertainty.

As I have become familiar with all devices used, and having made a scene I am able to show and describe to Basil, I am confident that the project will continue to develop and I will be able to respond to Basil’s requirements. 



The user guide is included within the project github.


Final versions (found on GitHub):


Unity Scene: "AtlanticCrossing" 

[Emerging-Technologies-TomGibbs-S184605\AR_Vuforia_EmergingTech\R34AR_prototype_V2\Assets\_Tom_S184605\Scenes\AtlanticCrossing]

  • Complete scene, steer an airship across the Atlantic using virtual buttons.
  • Complete scene, navigate around an airship, through use of virtual buttons on a printed controller.

.apk: "Controller Release"

  • contains completed scene where user navigates through use of virtual buttons on a printed controller.

.apk: "Image Recognition Release"

  • contains completed scene where user can use device camera to recognise database images, displaying various effects and information
User guide: "User guide" 

  • summary of user interactions and necessary resources.
  • word document containing 'controller'
  • word document containing database reference images.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3: 2 - 9 March [Continued AR prototype]

Week 4, Part 1: 9 - 16 March [Understanding Kinect functionality]

Week 1: 16 - 23 Feb. [Meeting with Museum Director]